William H Menke
Geophysicist with broad interests in Earth structure (especially the lithosphere and asthenosphere), geodynamcis, seismic wave propagation and inverse theory.
Fieldwork in Iceland, New England, California, Axial Seamount, and Lau Basin.
Textbooks in inverse theory, environmental data analysis and geophysics.
Fields of Interest
Structure and geodynamics of the Earth's lithosphere and asthenosphere,e specially in volcanic regions; algorithm development in inverse theory and data analysis.
- BS, MS Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1976
- PhD Columbia University, 1982
Honors & Awards
- Presidential Young Investigator, National Science Foundation, 1986
- Fellow, American Geophysical Union, 1992
138. Menke, W. (2022), Environmental Data Analysis with MATLAB or Python, Third Edition (textbook), Elsevier, in press, expected August 2022.
137. Creel, R.C., Austermann, J., Khan, N.S., W.J. D'Andrea, Balascio, N., Dyer, B., Ashe, A., Menke, W. (2022), Postglacial relative sea level in Norway, Quaternary Science Reviews 282, 107422.
136. Menke, W. and Creel, R. (2021) Why differential data work, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., doi.org/10.1785/0120210014.
135. Menke, W. and Creel, R. (2021) Gaussian Process Regression Reviewed in the Context of Inverse Theory, Surveys in Geophysics 42, 473-503, doi.org/10.1007/s10712-021-09640-w.
134. Carrero Mustelier, E. & Menke, W. (2021). Seismic anomalies in the southeastern North American asthenosphere as characterized with body wave travel times from high-quality teleseisms, Tectonophysics 809, 228853.
133. Menke, W. (2021) Tuning of Prior Covariance in Generalized Least Squares, Applied Mathematics 12, 157-170.
132. Menke, W. & Russell, J. (2020). Non-Double-Couple Components of the Moment Tensor in a Transversely Isotropic Medium, Bull. Seism. Assoc. Am. 110, 1125-1133, https://doi.org/10.1785/0120190319
131. Menke, W. (2020). Analytic Solution to the Moment Tensor - Anisotropy Inverse Problem, Pure and Applied Geophysics, DOI: 10.1007/s00024-020-02468-2
130. Menke, W. (2020) A Connection between Geometrical Spreading and the Adjoint Field in Travel Time Tomography. Applied Mathematics, 11, 84-96. doi: 10.4236/am.2020.112009
129. Krauss, Z. and W. Menke (2020), The Northern Gulf Anomaly: P-and S-wave travel time delays illuminate a strong thermal feature beneath the Northern Gulf of Mexico, Earth and Planetary Science Letters 534, 116102
128. Menke. W. Preface, Chineese edition of Geophusical Data Analysis, www.sciencep.com, 2019.
127. Menke, W. and D. Blatter, Trade-off of resolution and variance computed from ensebles of solutions, with application to Markov Chain Monte Carlo Methods, Geophys. J. Int. 218, 1522-1536, 2019.
126. Menke, W., Construction of Equivalent Functions in Anisotropic Radon Tomography, Applied Mathematics 10, 1, 2019.
125. Menke, W. J. Lamoureux, D. Abbott, E. Hopper, D. Hutson and A. Marrero, Crustal heating and lithospheric alteration and erosion associated with asthenospheric upwelling beneath southern New England (USA), J. Geophys. Res. doi: 10.1029/2018JB015921, 2018.
124. Menke, W., Geophysical Data Analysis: Discrete Inverse Theory, Fourth Edition (Textbook), Elsevier, pp 350, 2018, ISBN: 9780128135556.
123. Dong, M.T. and W.H. Menke, Seismic high attenuation region observed beneath southern New England from teleseismic body wave spectra: evidence for high asthenospheric temperature without melt, Geophysical Research Letters, DOI:10.1002/2017GL074953, 2017.
122. Menke, W., Sensitivity Kernels for the Cross-Convolution Measure, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 107, 2213-2224, doi: 10.1785/0120170045, 2017.
121. Levin, V., A. Servali, J. VanTongeren, W. Menke and F. Darbyshire, Crust-mantle boundary in eastern North America, from the (oldest) craton to the (youngest) rift, in The crust-mantle and lithosphere-asthenosphere boundaries: insights from xenoliths, orogenic deep sections and geophysical studies, Geological Society of America Special Paper 526 (eds. Bianchini Gianluca, Bodinier Jean-Louis, Braga Roberto, Wilson Marjorie), 107-131, 2017.
120. Menke, W., The uniqueness of single data function, multiple model functions, inverse problems including the Rayleigh wave dispersion problem, PAGEOPH 174, 1699-1710, 2017.
119. Menke, W., P. Skryzalin, V. Levin, T. Harper, F. Darbyshire and Ted Dong, The Northern Appalachian Anomaly is a Modern Asthenospheric Upwelling, Geophys. Res. Lett., 2016.